The Opportunity Zones Podcast is now on YouTube!
When a High Net Worth investor triggers a capital gain, there are a few different tax mitigation options available, including the 1031 Exchange, a Delaware Statutory Trust (DST) investment, and Opportunity Zones. But when is each of these options appropriate? And how can advisors place their clients into the appropriate tax mitigating investment products?
Louis Reynolds, CEO of Synergistic Exchange Solutions, joins the show to discuss real estate as an asset class, and when Opportunity Zones or other tax mitigation strategies are right for High Net Worth investors.
Watch On YouTube
- A general view of real estate as an asset class, and why real estate ownership is so attractive for many High Net Worth investors.
- The key differences between 1031 Exchanges, DSTs, and Opportunity Zones, and when each vehicle may be a viable option for an investor’s portfolio.
- Tax advantages to oil and gas structures, and when they can be implemented into a 1031 Exchange.
- A comparison of the size of the DST and Opportunity Zone marketplaces.
- The size of the total commercial real estate world: how much transaction volume is occurring each year, by individual investors vs. institutional investors.
- Why the number of licensed advisors doing DST and OZ deals is so small, and opportunity this presents for industry growth.
- How advisors are currently selecting DST and Opportunity Zone investment products for their clients.
Featured On This Episode
- History of the 1031 Exchange (Realized)
- Opportunity Zones vs. 1031 Exchanges & DSTs (Webinar Hosted by AltsDb)
- Gas Prices (AAA) (Note: Louis mentions $6.05 gas in San Diego and $4 gas in Texas. Gas prices are up even more since Louis and I recorded this episode just a few weeks ago.)
- Non-Traded REITs and BDCs Break Quarterly Fundraising Records (The DI Wire)
- Novogradac-Tracked QOFs Report $3.97 Billion Increase in Equity Raised in First Quarter (Novogradac)
Today’s Guest: Louis Reynolds, Synergistic Exchange Solutions
About The Opportunity Zones Podcast
Hosted by OpportunityDb.com founder Jimmy Atkinson, The Opportunity Zones Podcast features guest interviews from fund managers, advisors, policymakers, tax professionals, and other foremost experts in opportunity zones.