Compass Living’s Encore is a luxury, health, and wellness-focused community created for active adults in the MidCity mixed-use development in Huntsville, Alabama. Encore creates an intergenerational community in a vibrant, underserved market. Compass Living offers qualified investors the opportunity to participate in the development and ownership of Encore through a single-asset Qualified Opportunity Zone Fund.
Huntsville is the fastest-growing city in the State of Alabama and has won acclaim as one of the nation’s best places to live and work. As the home of both Redstone Arsenal (headquarters of the U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command and the Marshall Space Flight Center) and Cummings Research Park (the second largest research park in the United States), Huntsville attracts many of the country’s best aerospace, military defense and engineering companies and their associated employees, resulting in a highly-educated and affluent population.
MidCity Huntsville is one the largest active mixed-use developments in the United States. MidCity is an entertainment-focused, mixed-use redevelopment of the former Madison Square Mall halfway between downtown Huntsville and the thriving suburb of Madison. Subject to changes in the master plan, Encore will be the only residential property devoted to active adults and will offer the only medical office space within MidCity.
Encore integrates active design and healthy lifestyle options in a mixed-use environment, including:
- Residential: 232 luxury apartments designed for sophisticated, active adults.
- Health & Wellness: Medical office space and a wellness center with both physical fitness and physical therapy.
- Food & Beverage: Multiple dining venues, including a farm-to-table restaurant, a bistro, a coffee shop and a bar, as well as room service, all curated and operated by renowned chef Marc Taft and his team at Southern Fried Hospitality.
- Sustainable Urban Farm: Integrated aquaponic farm to provide fresh vegetables and fish for various dining venues without the use of man-made fertilizers, pesticides or other harmful chemicals.
- Visual Arts: Studio, gallery and classroom space with an industry-leading artist-in-residence program.
- Resident Services: On-site concierge, housekeeping and laundry service.
- MidCity Amenities: Walkable, urban community with a $50 million amphitheater; 950,000 square feet of retail, dining and entertainment; 200,000 square feet of high tech office space; 1,135 apartments; 245 hotel rooms; and a 40-acre public park.
Compass Living intends to develop Encore, lease it to stabilization, and then refinance the property with long-term, non-recourse debt. They anticipate being able to distribute positive cash flow from operations as they reach stabilization and thereafter. Compass will hold this community at least as long as is required to realize the tax benefits of the Fund (10 years) and anticipates a liquidity event for investors following this statutory holding period.